In honor of Johnny Appleseed‘s upcoming birthday, here is a really funny (and possibly informative) list of facts my son taught me after learning about Johnny Appleseed in kindergarten. And just to make it useful, also 10 of the most popular apple recipes on Pinterest too. I love the smell of apples cooking in the house!
Apparently, September 26 is Johnny Appleseed’s birthday. I wouldn’t know that if it weren’t for my kindergartner because, although I’ve seen a lot of obscure occasions marked on calendars, that’s one that doesn’t quite make the cut.
In fact, I know almost nothing about the man except that he supposedly scattered apple seeds all over the continent. And he played a pipe and children followed him around. Or maybe I’m confusing that with a scene from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Cut to this evening when I asked Asher what he learned about in school today. My usually reticent kindergartner began to spew forth information about Johnny Appleseed. And I have to say, I thought his recall was pretty terrific considering he’d also never heard of the man before.
Then again, there’s a distinct possibility he confused a few of the facts. I’ll let you decide.
1. Johnny Appleseed wore a pot hat.
2. He lived in the Northwest.
3. He wore no shoes and walked barefooted.
4. He lived in the 1900s which was 19 years ago.
5. He was 19 when he died. Don’t write that, I don’t know. Maybe he was, like, 114.
6. He planted apple trees all over our country.
7. He’s dead. He died.
8. He used his pot hat to cook apples.
9. He had no home to live. When he was home, he had a house.
10. He helped animals eat apples.
11. He took care of the apples and the animals.
12. He wore a shirt for a sack. I mean, he wore a sack for a shirt.
13. He walked everywhere, all over the country. And he died.
14. He just ate one apple and he died.
15. He didn’t eat much and he died.
16. He didn’t drink and that’s why he died.
17. I miss Johnny Appleseed. He gave apples to people.
*post contains affiliate links.