I have so much time on my hands as a SAHM with 2 little kids. I’m always lying about on my chaise lounge, flipping channels on the idiot-box while my full-time Eunuch feeds me juicy green grapes and fans me with a banana leaf.
If you don’t know I’m being facetious right now, you are not nor have you ever been a SAHM.
When I do that, I tend to make really highbrow choices.
Like Downton Abbey.
I’m totally joking. I listen to people talk incessantly about how wonderful Downton Abbey is but I just can’t get past the title. Give me RuPaul’s Drag Race any day.
One of the shows I’ve been watching is MTV’s “Catfish.”
I saw the movie and found it fascinating but then sort of forgot about it. The fact that this reasonably smart, cute, seemingly sane guy got sucked into such a crazy internet ruse seemed like a total anomaly.
Turns out, it’s not. This shit just might be the new national pastime.
How big of a hole do you have in your life to create a fake facebook profile (or a bunch of fake profiles), stealing someone’s old photos from myspace or even their entire identity and then pretend to be that person for YEARS? Can you imagine how much of a time stuck that is? I can’t even keep all the things that are TRUE in my life straight. Imagine having a stack of lies as big as the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
I’m just so confused by the complications some of these people interject into the situation.
I watched an episode of “Catfish” in which a WOMEN pretended to be a TRANSGENDERED MAN looking for another MAN to have a relationship with. This is the very definition of going all the way around your ass to get to your asshole.
Isn’t it hard enough just to be a real person of some sexual orientation looking for another real person of the preferred sexual orientation? Without “injecting” an extra penis into the mix? What was she hoping to catch when she dropped that line into the pond?
“Hmmm. I think I’ll do some fishing. I’m gonna try and catch a mutant catfish that will attach itself to me with permanent suction cups and inject its oily venom into me if I don’t feed it a sack of penises every single day for the rest of my life.”
And don’t get me started on the poor, misguided people who fall for this shit.
In fact, just completely as a public service to them, I’m gonna lay out for you right now The Top 10 Ways To Tell If You’re Being Catfished.
1. You have never heard your online pal’s voice because she does not own a cell phone nor have a land-line nor any access to either. Maybe if you send her some money, she can get one.
2. He is a fashion or fitness model and is frequently unavailable to you because he’s traveling internationally.
3. The camera on her computer is broken so you can’t video chat. The camera on her cell phone doesn’t work either. She has no friend nor acquaintance with video capability. In fact, video features have been malfunctioning in Milan, Paris and New York for the entire year you’ve been in daily communication.
4. He suddenly has to go underground because he’s hiding from drug lords or gangsters.
5. When your internet girlfriend Whoopi Goldberg calls you to chat, the area code indicates she’s from Podunk, Mississippi and she sounds like a teenage white girl.
7. She plans to meet you in person but suddenly has a family crisis or a business emergency in London and has to cancel. You’re either in a relationship with Kim Kardashian or you’re being catfished.
8. Every time you question your incredibly handsome, perpetually shirtless, muscle-bound but unlucky boyfriend, he gets carjacked and then run over by the car or is struck down with leukemia, Yellow Fever, scurvy or Lou Gehrig’s disease and just needs your support.
9. You have to keep the relationship a secret because she is a Peruvian Princess/famous actress/alien from Mars and no one would understand her deeply intimate relationship with someone so different from her.
10. You have one and only one facebook friend in common with your internet boyfriend. Take a REALLY close look at that “friend.”
If you’re prone to online relationships and have a low bullshit meter, please print this list out and tape it to the wall right next to your computer. And keep in mind – if you think you’re being catfished, you probably are.
Join me on my Facebook page – I’m there to help you know if you’re being catfished at any time. I’m also there to laugh about virtually everything. Come hang out.